Tuesday 22 October 2013

Let Little Children be LITTLE







When you see the above images, what thoughts come to your mind? Though some of the images might look harmless, but the reality is not. We see so many parents around crib about the fact that kids are growing up really fast. Aren't we as parents responsible for that? Recently a mom of a 5 year old asked on Facebook about some creative ideas for celebrating her daughter's birthday. We all gave her suggestions on different themes and ideas... I was taken aback by one suggestion which went as follows, "I'm a mom of 2 daughters and I suggest you do a spa party, with facial, manicure, pedicure, massage et al. Talking from experience". My only reply was 'How about letting 'little' girls be little.'

Its not about girls or boys, you see children of either gender growing up too fast. When I asked my mom, she said 'Childhood always appears short and time flies'. I think in the last few years children definitely are becoming far too mature for their age. For a 10-11 year old girl it is very common to spot lip gloss & kohl. If you see girls without them it appears pretty weird. Young boys have also started experimenting with their look, from the kind of haircut to the clothes they wear, the accessories et al. If it was just about looks, we could have overlooked to a certain extent. The entire thought process of kids these days has become very mature and adult like. Which I guess is not a great thing. Call a 11-12 year old 'a child' and you will know what I'm talking about, they will immediately say 'Excuse me! We are young adults'

Bringing up our children is our responsibility, you like it or not. I'm not suggesting just let them be or being the strict disciplinarian. All we're saying is that there are ways to let kids being kids for a little longer.

Do not go by what other parents believe/say/do, you can take an advise but at the end 'TRUST YOUR INSTINCT'. Things should depend on what and how you want things to happen. Saba, a mom of a 4 year old, says she is alright with her daughter Mariam wearing make-up at home while she is playing, but she cannot wear make-up outside before she is 15. I as a mum of a 3 year old, believe in not letting Zoe wear make-up even if it is for pretend play... maybe it is easier for me because I don't wear much makeup on a regular basis. I would like to instill in Zoe from an early age to be what she wants to be, rather than following a rat race. Like in our house, Zoe watches TV for an hour, many parents like fellow blogger Reema believes in NO-TV at all. Then there are parents who do not mind if their kids watch TV for 3-5 hours a day.

You obviously have to consider the long term IMPACT on your child. Like Faizan & me have not brought an I-Pad as we don't want Zoe to get into it too soon, we know its easy to get into a habit of something which keeps you entertained. I agree, there are educational apps on a tablet, but Zoe gets a nice does of educational programs in her 1 hour of TV viewing. Besides there are her books, she loves painting & music. I don't mind if Zoe gets dirty in the park and runs around, I have seen some parents get paranoid because it might affect the child's health. Till the time she enjoys and washes herself up when she comes back home, I'm fine.

You need to be a little Realistic, and accept you child as they are. Stop 'My Child is too talkative/introvert/extrovert/Over the top/energetic/lazy.' Don't expect your child to enjoy theatre, cricket, book club, tennis, ballet, martial arts, travel, gymnastics, music et al. See what your child enjoys, and not what your neighbor's or your best friend's child does. By expecting our children to excel in anything & everything aren't we forcing our child to become an adult? I saw Zoe's interest in books and music, so that is just what does. I don't want her to get into Drama or dance because her mum was into it, or art because her dad enjoyed it. See what your little one enjoys and expose them to those activities.

Set limits... You might be your kid's best friend, advisor, ATM, Entertainment Channel, story teller... but do not forget you are your child's parent as well. My 4.5 year old nephew 'Z' is allowed to play on a tablet, but he knows he has access to it for only an hour, and he can only access a few applications.

Your child will get exposed to information which is meant for adults. Still, at a younger age you as a parent can have more influence on your child compared to a friend/TV or other such media. As a parent you should be aware and raise your children in the way you want to.

Do let us know what do you think about kids becoming mature too soon. Does it bother you? What do you do about the situation?

** Image Courtesy - Google


17 comments:

  1. Could relate to each of the situations you mentioned... Reading this piece, reassures me that i am right, when i follow my own instincts about my 22 month old toddler.... The responsibility of ensuring that his "childhood" & innocence lingers, is like a challenge in the present day context, with so much exposure all around, but having said that, it is by all means, our responsibility to ensure we create the right environment for our kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it and could related to it. I agree with you when you talk about creating the right environment for our kids. I think communication is also critical.

      Delete
    2. how aptly put Falak. I totaly freak out looking at the attitudes of 2/3 yr olds..thinking how mine is going to turn out. My lo is abt to complete 1 year & i m doing trial n error methods to let her childhood linger.

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with Falak here. Being a mom of a 5 year old I am very careful about what my son sees, talks and does even if its for pretend play. I have not exposed my son to any ipads or tabs yet coz i feel its too early for him to get exposed to those things. In any case he will be exposed to these gadgets sooner or later, better to retain the childhood as long as possible. And its not that if he does not access those gadgets he will not be able to learn anything, as per me there are far more better things to learn compared to these gadgets like books and hands on activity kits. I would any day like my son goes outdoor for playing rather than sitting at home and playing with these gadgets. Here I agree with one more thing which Falak rightly said is not get into the rat race by forcing your child to go for singing or drawing class just because your friends child is going. We have to understand and identify the area of interest of our child. I am a big music lover and can't live without it but my son doesn't enjoy music much except rhymes instead he enjoys dancing and aerobic moves. So i will never force my son to go for singing classes just because i like it. Now about celebrating birthdays, i strongly believe that kids just want to enjoy with their friends and siblings, have fun, eat cake, etc. so it really doesn't matter how u r celebrating birthdays as long as their friends n siblings r with them. Its only we elders want to make a hype of it. Kids would still enjoy even if u throw the simplest party in town. Have seen personally people throwing most luxurious parties i town right frm the first birthday of the child where the child doesn't even understand and remembers anything and feel very uncomfortable seeing all new faces and becomes very cranky. So ultimately the child only doesn't enjoy his own birthday party. Definitely we as parents have a lot more responsibility compared to anyone else. We are actually responsible for many things when we are only exposing our children to many things before their age. Another culprit for making kids becoming mature soon is the stuff shown in TV. We cannot refrain our kids completely from watching TV but what to watch and how much to watch is completely in our hands. We as parents knows what is best for our child so have to trust our own instinct and do what is right for them. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You speak my mind....being an educator now...I get to see all type of children a so called adult so closely..sometimes they really freak me out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said Falak. And so, so true. Every time my son wears a kurta or a full-sleeved shirt he instantly rolls up his sleeves. Just like his father does. As I watch him amused, I am equally aware of how closely he watches his father.

    He paints too. Plays. Reads when I read with him. Loves looking up numbers. He watches TV, some animals, some cartoons and because he loves to dance some songs. I am surprised how easily he copies dance steps. And he spends time on the iPad too. Off late however I have noticed that he has begun to get aggressive the moment we take away the tab. He also wants it for longer periods. We had a 30 minute window per day for him. And thanks to his tantrums he has now lost even that. Remember our talk about reward and punishment. We've found our perfect opportunity to introduce punishment to him. So in a way, I am glad that he has brought it on himself.

    Oh parenting is all so much about looking over one's shoulders all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They observe EVERYTHING. Thanks to Zoe, Ive got back to reading which I missed when I was working after marriage. Also TV viewing has come down DRASTICALLY, I know I can't say no to something I do... and I will have to have a strong reason for saying no. Who said parenting was easy :)

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this article. I want my kids to be kids and not 'adults' already, thankfully they aren't glued to anything 'gadgety' yet. They spend most of their time playing, creating stuff etc. My older child started Grade I and they have a 'smart board' in their school which I am assuming is for showing kids ' smart/intelligent' stuff. But to my surprise she comes home one day singing 'Radha on the dance floor, sexy Radha Party' ..and I had not even heard of a song like that ( I am not into Movies at all )....and then the next day it was ' Badtameez Dil' (all shown on the smart board to pass time)....when I tried to talk to the other parents about this, nobody seemed to have a problem with the fact that the school was exposing these 5-6 year olds to film songs (I dont know if those videos are ok for kids to watch in the first place) ....and I was wondering why cant the school show the kids an educational video or something like that....am going to take this up with the school in their PTM ..let the kids be kids ...whats the hurry to turn them into adults!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Sue... and I'm shocked to hear schools show film songs to kids on 'Smart Boards' really...

      Delete
    2. I was as shocked, but none of the other parents seemed to care...which shocked me even more...kids at grade I don't need a smart board in the first place...bcos as far I know it gets used only when the class teacher is absent or is caught up with some other work ....its like folks who use the TV as a baby sitter all the time.:(

      Delete
  6. Priya Kyatsandra Jayasimha22 October 2013 at 16:13

    Nicely written. My daughter is 5 and is totally into books. No-tv . In recent times she is totally into dressing thanks to Barbies, Fancy Nancy and all the princesses of Disney....But I am hoping this is a phase of roll play and she will outgrow it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I totally identified with the emotion you have written this post. It takes a lot to be a parent. I think me and my daughter are a pair. So, she is being as little as she wants but, I am also being little with her :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Poornima! I totally relate with you when you say "she is being as little as she wants but, I am also being little with her"

      Delete
  8. Hey Falak, I just discovered the link to my blog in your lovely post. I agree with your thought process. You know, we have been TV-free for quite a few years [even before our son came into our lives]. We have a TV-free home but not gadget-free, and these days, as Rituparna mentioned, the little one gets aggressive when we want to take back our mobiles phones or tab. He gets them when he asks for them because I don't want to get paranoid about these gadgets and end up making them more attractive for him. To avoid all the fuss we try to keep all these gadgets away from our line of vision but he still asks for them. He has been screen-free so far but I plan to introduce it for half an hour or so in near future. My only issue is the way kids look while watching TV/videos - glazed and hypnotized [even grown-ups look like that while watching TV, for that matter].

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Reema, we cannot possibly co completely gadget free in today's day and age. Also I know what you are talking about when you say ' glazed and hypnotized ' that is something even I have issues with

      Delete