Friday 12 July 2013

15 Hollywood Classics (and some not so old) you can watch with your kids

I keep a strict tab on how much time Zoe spends in front of the TV. I have a list of English movies I want to watch with her. These movies are ones that I have grown up loving and I want Zoe to experience the magic. You can also pick these up and have a great time with your little one.



10 Classics (and some not so old) you can watch with your kids - In Alphabetical Order:

One Hundred and One Dalmatians (1961)


I saw this movie on tape when I was a little girl and loved it. The movie was re-made later but the animated version remains my personal favorite. For those of you who aren't aware, this film is based on the children's story by Dodie Smith. Your kids will particularly like the movies, if they love dogs (which kid doesn't). I'm not too sure if you will get that now, you can also opt for the film released in 1996.

Baby's Day Out (1994)

Watched this one well in my teens and this was the 1st movie Zoe sat through (well not for the entire one and a half hours)... This was about Baby Bink who gets kidnapped and how the kidnappers chase the little thing throughout the town. Your younger kids (even older ones) are sure to love this one.

Bambi (1942)

Whoa... as I write the year I realize this movie is really old... my parents weren't even born back then. This one was released way back in the 1940s by Disney. Its a story about Bambi (a deer) as we follow from birth to his early childhood experiences to the death of Bambi's mom and his special friend Faline. It also talks about a forest fire and how Bambi saves his friends. In the end Bambi evolves as a mature deer becoming the prince of the forest.

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)


Another movie I remember watching as a child and loving it. It's a Sci-Fi about a boy Elliott, who often feels lonely  & lost in his own world. Until one day he sees a spacecraft... it's then Elliot meets an allien. Elliot keeps him and tries to help him find his way back home. The movie sees Elliott become less frightened and braver. Koi Mil Gaya Anyone???

Home Alone (1990)

Who has not seen Home Alone and not loved it, especially if you saw it when you were young. Macaulay Culkin plays Kevin whose family left him 'Home Alone' while they go off to Paris for Christmas. The eight-year-old Kevin is overjoyed to see a house all to himself. He overhears 2 goons discussing a plan to rob the neighbourhood (also his house). He rigs the house with numerous traps and in the end he gets the goons arrested.
P.S Don't leave your kid alone for a few days after s/he watches Home Alone :-))

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (1989)

I have seen this movie nth number of times and still watch it whenever its on TV. A scientist dad shrinking his kids and the kids going through an adventure of sorts in their backyard.

Mary Poppins (1964)

Staring Julie Andrews as Mary Poppins the magical nanny... (how I wished I had someone like her) ... she adds magic to the kid's life and turns every chore into a game and an adventure.

Matilda (1996)


Based on Roald Dahl's book by the same name. It is about Matilda who is a very intelligent and curious little girl. As she grows older, she realizes that she has telekinetic powers.

Star Wars (Original Trilogy)

Confession: More than me, my family was obsessed with this movie and I fell in love with it after watching it a couple of times on VHS.

The film took us into another world and the perfect Good v/s Evil was like this cherry on top. Your kids will love all the characters like we did when we were younger.

The Lion King (1994)




If your child hasn't watched this one yet pick up the DVD right away. It is quite like Bambi (but I prefer this one), a story about Simba's (a cub) journey to adulthood. I remember shedding tears while watching this one. Do keep a tissue box by your side.

The Parent Trap (1961)


I have watched the one staring Lindsay Lohan as well, but I prefer the one I watched as a little girl. I seriously think Disney didn't do justice with the Lohan version. This was also made in Hindi named 'Do Kaliyaan' staring Neetu Singh as the twin sisters. Its about a pair of twins dealing with their parent's divorce. How these two meet at summer camp and then go to each others house.

The Princess Bride (1987)




Based on  William Goldman's book by the same name, it is one love story kids will watch and parents won't mind them watching it. Has all the elements which will leave your kids want more... a daring princess, the prince charming, a giant who is not really evil, et al. Your kids will be laughing by the time the movie comes to an end.

The Sound of Music (1965)

Has to be My all time favorite, since I was a little girl. One of the most famous musicals of all time.  Julie Andrews stars as Maria, a young nun who is sent to become a nanny to 7 kids (I told you,  Julie Andrews was my favorite nanny of all times :)) ). Her new boss (the father of the 7 kids) is very cold and loves discipline. Its about how Maria brings music and laughter in the life of the kids and  Captain Von Trapp.

The Wizard of Oz (1939 - the oldest one on the list)

When I read this story I wanted to watch the movie all the more and my wish was granted. The story is about Dorothy's journey in Oz through emerald forests, yellow brick roads, and creepy castles, all with the help of some unusual but earnest song-happy friends.


Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1964) 



I'm talking about the original and not the  Johnny Depp one. Its obviously an adaptation of Dahl's book. The songs of the movie and magical (like the film itself) and when I first saw the film, the song stayed with me for days.

There are many new movies as well, but in this list I have tried to keep movies which I enjoyed while I was growing up.

I want to create a list of Hindi Movies as well, that's going to take some time :-(

7 comments:

  1. Shivani Saxena12 July 2013 at 16:37

    HI Falak

    Good Work..

    i dont miss ur blogs

    thanks for the tips

    great going dear..

    Regards

    Shivani Saxena

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Falak

    i know the list for hindi cant to be so easily but some can be

    series of Jungle book (Mogali), Anjali, Hum hai rahi pyaar k,parichay,Mr India , Tare zameen par... and so on...

    read a blog for fathers as well because we as mothers wants our children to share there quality time with fathers as well but due to their busy schedule they cant spare time .. how to deal with this type of situation.

    Looking forward for more blogs and topics for discussions.



    regards

    Shivani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shivani, Will soon ask u for names when I work on the Hindi list :)

      I can give Faizan's example. He has messed up his office timing and spends as much time with her. Also I don't have to be worried at all about Zoe on weekends. Maybe thats because both of us are super busy... I work from home so when Faizan is home he takes care of Zoe and I work.

      One needs to set their priorities right I guess

      Delete
  3. Hi Falak, my daughter is 1.5 yrs old . she doesnt watch TV but yes she loves ads when I'm watching a TV. Well would these flicks be good for her too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Falak, Can you please post a blog on top 15 Animated English movies which is watchable for kids between the 4-6 years age group

    Ramya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will work on the same Ramya, thanks for the suggestion :)

      Delete